Thursday, November 20, 2008

Two New(ish) Cheap Eateries in Chevy Chase

It's Chicken Madness here!

I have yet to try the new Don Pollo (that's "Sir Chicken" to you), the Peruvian rotisserie chicken place in Chevy Chase, but I used to frequent the Rockville location all the time and, damn, was it ever good. I'm not sure how much the Chevy Chase location charges for the generous Quarter Chicken meal (includes either a breast and wing or thigh and drumstick; two sides from your choice of rice and beans, plantains, fried yucca, and a couple less exciting options; and two awesome dipping sauces - a spicy chimichurri type thing and an aioli type thing), but in Rockville it was only $5.25. It's such a filling meal that even I would pay more than that, and I suspect I will have to at its fancy new digs in the 20815. But the fried yucca alone is worth every penny.

A spot whose goodness and low prices I can attest to is Saveur India, conveniently located below the Trader Joe's. It's been around for probably about a year now. I've had their lamb curry lunch special (excellent), which I think cost around $7 or $8, but last night, when leaving TJ's, I noticed a sign for a new lunch special: $5 gets you a quarter tandoori chicken, naan, a salad, and I think one other thing. Specificity never was my strong suit. But you should try it, or you should join me and we should try it together! Only five buckaroonies!

Don Pollo
7007 Wisconsin Ave
Chevy Chase, MD 20815
301-652-5117

Saveur India
6831 Wisconsin Ave Suite, #29
Chevy Chase, MD 20815
301-951-0062

No comments: